2007 Jeep® Grand Cherokee SRT8: The Quickest, Most Powerful Jeep Ever
[September 1, 2006 – WKJeeps.com] As the first Jeep® vehicle to wear the Street and Racing Technology (SRT) badge and the first fourwheel- drive SRT vehicle, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 was designed for superlative performance. And it delivers: It’s the quickest, most powerful Jeep vehicle ever created, offering astonishing onroad and all-weather ability and power.
With a 0-60-mph time in under 5 seconds – in wet or dry conditions – it’s quicker than competitors such as Porsche Cayenne Turbo and BMW X5.
“There are customers who want the utility, configuration and capability of a sport-utility vehicle with sports-car-like performance,” said Kipp Owen, Director – Street and Racing Technology, Chrysler Group. “The 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 provides all that and more. It fulfills the SRT mission of best performance at the best price, and sets a new benchmark for performance SUVs.”
Powered by a 6.1-liter HEMI® V-8 producing 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. of torque (569 N-m), the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 delivers a complete performance package, with exceptional ride and handling, world-class braking, race-inspired interior appointments and functional, performance-oriented exterior enhancements.
Powered by a 6.1-liter HEMI® V-8 that produces 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. of torque (569 N-m), the 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 delivers the complete performance package with exceptional ride and handling, world-class braking, race-inspired interior appointments and functional, performance-oriented exterior enhancements.
For example, the front fascia provides aerodynamic benefits by reducing lift and drag, while providing sufficient air flow to cool the 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine. The front fascia also helps increase brake-system cooling through integrated air ducts.
The rear fascia incorporates an aggressive center cut-out in order to accommodate dual 4-inch exhaust tips. Sill extensions result in another functional enhancement by creating downforce.
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8’s cabin features an SRT signature race-inspired interior. Seats with added bolstering and a performance fabric insert keep occupants firmly in place under spirited driving conditions. A dark slate gray interior color, accent stitching on the seats and a unique SRT-designed leather-wrapped steering wheel are some of the highlights. Full instrumentation includes a 180-mph (300-kph) speedometer, tachometer and temperature gauges, all trimmed with a unique blue accent.
Providing horsepower and torque to the unique SRT four-wheel-drive system is a specially tuned version of the HEMI engine, which was developed by adding more displacement, increasing the compression ratio and redesigning cylinder heads, intake and exhaust systems for better flow and increased engine speed.
Power from the 6.1-liter HEMI is sent through a special torque converter to an SRT-upgraded, five-speed automatic transmission with specially calibrated driver-selectable Auto Stick, which offers a fully automatic or manual shift selection.
WHAT’S NEW FOR 2007
• Rear camera – obstacle-avoidance aid
• Remote start
Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President – Design, Chrysler Group:“The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 was designed to evoke two important qualities: performance capability and refinement. With subtle yet functional improvements inside and out, it redefines what a performance SUV should be.”
The 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8’s front fascia makes use of aerodynamic improvements to reduce lift and drag, while providing sufficient air flow to cool the 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine. The front fascia also helps increase brake-system cooling through integrated air ducts.
In the rear, a modified fascia incorporates an aggressive center cutout to accommodate dual 4-inch exhaust tips. Sill extensions are another functional enhancement that help create downforce.
Inside the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8’s cabin are power-adjustable, deeply sculpted performance front seats complete with uniquely patterned performance suede inserts to hold occupants during aggressive maneuvering. Interior accents include a carbon-fiber technical finish on the leather-wrapped steering wheel, instrument-panel brow and shift knob, complemented by a refined aluminum finishing on the center stack, shifter and door-switch bezels.
Full instrumentation includes a 180-mph (300-kph) speedometer, tachometer and temperature gauges, all trimmed with a unique blue accent and located within a carbon fiber-trimmed binnacle.
Kipp Owen, Director – Street and Racing Technology:“The SRT-developed four-wheeldrive system in the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 coupled with its 6.1-liter, 420-horsepower HEMI V-8 are an unbeatable combination, in terms of all-weather performance. But it doesn’t stop there: The 2007 Grand Cherokee SRT8 also benefits from SRT improvements including Brembo brakes, a performance-tuned suspension and race-bred interior and exterior enhancements.”
SRT engineers created the first SRT vehicle with full-time four-wheel drive by creating a new transfer case. They used the front half of a Jeep transfer case, chosen for its capability and light weight, and mated it to the rear half of a heavier-duty case, chosen for its ruggedness and ability to house electronic full-time, four-wheel-drive system components.
Under normal driving conditions, 5 percent to 10 percent of torque is directed to the front wheels, but as much of the 6.1-liter HEMI V-8’s torque that’s needed can be directed forward when additional traction or stability is required. Remaining torque is sent via a heavy-duty driveshaft to a Dana 44 rear differential.
Providing horsepower and torque to the unique SRT four-wheel-drive system is a specially tuned version of the new 6.1-liter SRT HEMI engine, which was developed by adding more cubic inches, increasing the compression ratio and redesigning the cylinder head, intake and exhaust systems for better flow and increased engine speed.
Power from the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI is sent through a special torque converter to an SRT-upgraded, five-speed automatic transmission with specially calibrated driver-selectable Auto Stick, which offers fully automatic or manual shift selection.
Chassis setup for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 employs SRT-tuned dampers, unique sway bars and specially tailored spring rates and suspension bushings. Front suspension knuckles were redesigned to accommodate high-performance braking and steering systems. The ride height of the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is 1 inch lower than the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which lowers aerodynamic drag as well as the center of gravity, and contributes to the vehicle’s stability and aggressive stance.
With an optional hitch package available from Mopar®, the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is capable of towing up to 3,500 pounds.
The braking system of the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 features four-piston performance brake calipers developed by Brembo, finished in gloss black. While braking, these calipers work with 360 mm x 32 mm vented rotors up front, with 350 mm x 28 mm vented rotors in the rear.
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8® is the quickest, most powerful Jeep vehicle ever
• Powered by the 6.1-liter HEMI® V-8 producing 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. (569 N•m) of torque, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8’s powertrain and performance-tuned ride and handling offer a world-class performance SUV experience
• Quicker than Porsche Cayenne Turbo, BMW X5
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is the first Jeep SRT vehicle, offering on-road and all-weather ability and performance
• Specially developed four-wheel-drive system offers highly capable performance
• SRT performance: 0-60 mph in under five seconds, 0-100-0 in low 19-second range, 60-0 mph in approximately 125 feet
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 formula
• Functional, performance-oriented exterior design, featuring 20-inch SRT wheels, front and rear fascias with air dam and cooling ducts; race-inspired interior appointments that include deeply bolstered seating and comprehensive instrumentation; benchmark braking; and world-class ride and handling characteristics
• The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is part of a broad lineup of SRT vehicles developed under the credo, “Race inspired, street legal”
• Modified front fascia with integrated brake ducts
• Mopar sill extensions
• Sun roof
• Mesh grille insert
• 420-horsepower (313 kW), 6.1-liter HEMI engine with five-speed automatic transmission with Auto Stick
• Full-time four-wheel drive
• Unique MDS 146 transfer case
• Upgraded Dana 44 rear differential
• 20-inch forged-aluminum wheels
• W-rated run-flat tires
• Four-wheel disc brakes with Brembo calipers and anti-lock brakes
• Electronic Stability Program tuned for SRT performance handling
• Enhanced cooling system
• Modified steering system
• Power-adjustable performance front seats
• Carbon-fiber technical finish on steering wheel, instrument-panel brow and shift knob
• Refined aluminum finish on center stack, shifter, door-switch bezels and instrument-panel inserts
• Upgraded trim on seats and steering wheel
• Performance instrument cluster with 180-mph speedometer, tachometer and temperature gauges, trimmed with unique blue accents
• Premium audio system
• DVD-based global-positioning system (GPS) navigation
• SIRIUS Satellite Radio
• UConnect® Hands-free Communication System with Bluetooth® technology
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with SRT 1 Package
In addition to the standard features available on the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, the SRT Package 1 adds:
• Power sun roof
• Supplemental side air bags
• Heated front seats
• Dual-zone air conditioning
• Automatic headlamps
• Remote start
SAFETY AND SECURITY
• Advanced Multi-stage Air Bag System
• Anti-lock Brake System
• Brake Assist
• Child Protection Rear Door Locks
• Door Ajar Warning Lamp
• Electronic Stability Program
• Energy-absorbing Steering Column
• Height-adjustable Front Seat Belts
• Laminated Front-Door Glass for Smash-and-Grab Protection
• Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH)
• Occupant Classification System
• Remote Keyless Entry System
• Rigid Body Structure for Improved Impact Protection
• Security Alarm
• Sentry Key® Engine Immobilizer
• Speed-Ssensitive Power Locks
• Three-point Seat Belt in All Positions
• Bright Silver Metallic
• Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
• Inferno Red
• Steel Blue Metallic Clear Coat
• 2009 model year production start: August 2006
• Production location: Jefferson Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit
• 6.1-liter HEMI® V-8 engine: Saltillo Engine Plant in Saltillo, Mexico
• Five-speed automatic transmission: Indiana Transmission I in Indianapolis
The combination of Jeep’s four-wheel-drive leadership and the SRT-developed 6.1-liter HEMI® maximizes the Grand Cherokee SRT8’s performance in all weather conditions, resulting in the quickest, most powerful Jeep vehicle ever. Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8’s extreme performance is complemented by key SRT attributes, including functional, performance-oriented styling, world-class ride and handling, and benchmark braking, coupled with race-inspired interior appointments.
• Gender: 80 percent male/20 percent female
• Median Age: 36-55 years old
• Median Annual Household Income: $100,000
• Education: 65 percent college graduate
• Household: 75 percent married, primarily post-family
• Occupation: mix of executive, managerial and professional
• The most powerful Jeep vehicle ever – quicker than Porsche Cayenne Turbo and BMW X5
• On-road and all-weather ability and performance with a specially developed four-wheel-drive system
• Powered by the 6.1-liter HEMI® V-8 producing 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. (569 N•m) of torque
• SRT performance: 0-60 mph in under five seconds, 0-100-0 in the low-19-second range, 60-0 mph in approximately 125 feet
• Functional, performance-oriented exterior design and race-inspired interior appointments
• Benchmark braking
• World-class ride-and-handling characteristics across a dynamic range
• Benchmark performance at the best price